Saturday 21 March 2009

Feed Me a Box of Words

Hello.
Its 4am and I've exhausted my limited DVD collection. Tonight I've watched Brick (yeah... what? I don't get it. Just... why?), Girl, Interrupted (Winona Ryder singing Petula Clark = win) and my all-time favourite, Almost Famous. After all this, I cannot sleep. Bad. Insomnia drives me to iTunes and searching podcasts for something good to watch/listen to. And I find...

BeatcastTV.
Basically, mostly live videos of aces as bands, the majority of which seem to be filmed in Kingston. I've just finished with watching Tubelord at the Luminaire (not Kingston..) and Sam Isaac at the Fighting Cocks. They've also captured Johnny Foreigner, Dananananaykroyd, Pulled Apart by Horses, Pennines... essentially most of the bands I'm feeling right now. Thus, I'm now firmly of the opinion Beatcast is ace.

If not just for the wealth of video and audio footage, but also for the fact I'm now on a full-on Tubelord binge. I've still not seen these kids live and I really need to. I almost did once. I saw two songs of their set at the Macbeth in September, supporting Metronomy, but then PRs and journalists invited me up to the roof for smokes. Like a true pro, I abandoned Tubelord and stood in the cold night air trying to convince Artrocker's Reviews Editor to listen to the TANAOU album, simultaneously flirting with a PR guy whilst discussing Micachu and the Shapes. THE SHAME. I hate the feeling I'm turning into some stereotypical stand-at-the-back-talking-to-yr-industry-friends hack. Note to people who know me: never let me get like this. If I do, please either make me snap out of it or kill me, whichever is easier.

Anyway. Tubelord have two shows in Camden in the coming weeks for me to rectify my deserting, and y'know, you probably should go too. I hear they bring it live.

Listen to them here. Start with Propeller. It is truly amazing. Never fails to give me goosebumps. One of my favourite things is when bands can make you feel alive in just three minutes. Tubelord do this better than most.
x

P.S. On a completely unrelated note, if you HypeM search JoFo, there are some really old songs come up, as well as a couple new. In case you were wondering. 'Ohai, Sentinels' is pretty darn gut. Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment